E-Bikes/Scooters – Potential Fire Risk

March 17, 2023 12:03 pm Published by

Faulty e-bike lithium-ion batteries are believed to have caused two major fires in flats in Limehouse and Aldgate this month.

The first fire took place on Osborn Street in Aldgate on 23 February, the London Fire Brigade (LFB) reported that one bedroom and a hallway in a flat of a five-storey building was completely destroyed. Two men suffering from smoke inhalation were assessed at the scene by the London Ambulance Service.

Only 37 hours later, a second fire was reported on Copenhagen Place in Limehouse, resulting in most of a three roomed flat being in ruins. On 24 February, the LFB received six calls regarding this fire, the first call was made by a resident who was awoken by the fire, which took hold so quickly that the smoke alarms in the property didn’t activate.

Four men were assessed at the scene and one man, who was suffering from smoke inhalation, was taken to hospital.

Please ensure that you read the latest guidance from the London Fire Brigade on the potential dangers of E-bikes and scooters when charging.

LFB Safety Advice on E-Bikes/Scooters

You can also download an article regarding the fires in Tower Hamlets below (Word document)

Health and Safety Electric bikes