There are several ways that you can pay your rent or licence fee.

Allpay – On signing your tenancy/licence agreement we will provide you with an Allpay card. You can use this card to make payments wherever you see the PayPoint logo (most Post Offices and some shops) or online at

Direct Debit

You can pay your rent or licence fee through your bank account using Direct Debit. This is an automatic payment by your bank, usually made once a month on a certain date. Ask your housing officer how to arrange this.

If you have any questions about paying your rent please call the Housing Management Team on 020 7920 7300

How we calculate your rent

  • Core rent – this is based on the size of your home and a charge for maintenance of the building.
  • Service charge – this relates to the cost of maintaining items such as lifts, fire alarm systems and communal areas.
  • Personal Service Charges – this element relates to food and catering costs if you receive a meals service or where PRHA pays your fuel or water costs.

The rent element and housing service charge element are eligible for Housing Benefit/Universal Credit.

How much Housing Benefit/Universal Credit you are entitled to is dependant on your earnings, either through other state benefits or from employment.

If you need further advice on benefits, speak to your Housing Officer or keyworker.

You can also find information on the You-Gov website:


Debt Advice

Financial Difficulty

Being in debt can be very stressful and sometimes overwhelming, especially now with the rising cost of living. If you are having difficulty paying your rent or other bills we can help you to get advice. Speak to your keyworker or Housing Officer so that they can support you and help address your debt issues.

You can also find lots useful information about other help and support available to you in this booklet created by Tower Hamlets Council for local residents (Click the link below)

LBTH cost of living handbook

You can also get advice from the following debt charities:-

Step-Change Debt Charity: or call 0800 138 1111

Citizens Advice Bureau

National debtline: or call 0808 808 4000

You are responsible for making sure that your rent/licence fee and service charge is paid on time even if you are claiming Housing Benefit.  If you are experiencing difficulties in paying , contact us immediately and we will try to help you. Please don’t ignore it.